For about two months, I have been of a mind to throw this watercolor away, nothing was going the way I wanted it to. After letting it lay dormant for weeks, I took it to school today and decided after my classes were finished to see if I could salvage it. Fortunately, the painting turned itself around today, and I am very pleased with the direction it is taking. I darkened the shadows in many areas, and intensified the reds in several other places. Finally, I laid in the basic wash for the street and put down the yellow striping.
Sitting and staring at it from across the classroom, I recorded eight more observations of things that need to be done with the picture, so I am still a good ways from finishing it. But I am much happier with it today than I have been in a long, long time.
The watercolor measures 22 x 28″ and I must say I was lost in it for a good while. That is why I laid it aside. I was exhausted by the process and unhappy with the results, until this afternoon. I have locked the painting away in my classroom, and for the time being, have decided only to work on it during the afternoons following classes. I’ll tend other important matters at home in the evenings.
I have all my art work on display and for sale in my classroom (Room 114) at Arlington Martin High School until December 21 when we go home for the Christmas holidays. This is something I have done every December for a number of years now. It is nice to see all the work out in front of me, not only while I’m teaching (it’s in the back of the classroom, in my line of sight, over the students’ heads) and in the afternoons while I’m enjoying coffee and working on my big Trinidad watercolor.
Thanks for reading.